Monday, February 11, 2013

Not only Key Moments

I've been reading C. S. Lewis quite a bit lately...  I had the privilege of going to a theatrical rendition of "The Screwtape Letters" recently, and became interested in reading other works of his.  In the past couple of weeks I've enjoyed reading both "The Great Divorce" and "Till We Have Faces."  Tonight I ventured into the rain and and darkness to the public library in search of more Lewis books, and I came across his sci-fi series, which I'm looking forward to reading, as I always enjoy that sort of creativity in literature, and also a tiny little book called, "Made For Heaven." 

I've always loved reading about and imagining heaven.  One summer while on a missions trip I read Joni Eareckson Tada's book, "Heaven," and I found it quite profound and uplifting (read my Xanga post about it here).  I have also enjoyed reading Randy Alcorn's books, "Heaven" and "Heaven for Kids."  Reading books like these makes me long for heaven, and seems to render brief adjournment from my preoccupation with myself (both my "virtues" and shortcomings).  As I was thinking about how good it is for my perspective on life to meditate on God and His plan for me like this, the thought came to me that perhaps this is part of why God has not yet given me children.  As a young married woman without children I am constantly told that I should cherish the life I have now (before children come along and start taking up all of my time), and of course I believe what they say is true (although I'm sure also that were I someone whose children had grown and left me I could say the same thing back to them and it would be an equally profound reminder), though I still wonder, often, why it is that God's plan for me right now involves infertility.  I know that it is His perfect plan, and that there is most definitely a reason, if not many, and I can't help thinking that if I knew those reasons, it would be easier to rest in His plan. 

So... all this to say, that I think one reason perhaps I have been called to the life that I have currently, is so that I might fall deeper in love with Him through the things I read.

Not only is this moment of my life a key moment, but this phase of my life is key as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment