Saturday, April 9, 2022

Two Spirits, One Life

I was thinking about the indwelling Spirit, as A B Simpson so often referred to Him, and what that really means.  And I imagined myself in the place of the Spirit of God, going to inhabit another spirited being like God’s Spirit inhabits His children. 

 

I imagine the essence of who I am—my mind, personality, desires, memories, experiences, and feelings transferring into another person’s life and physical body.  Yet instead of replacing my new host’s consciousness, I make my home alongside it.  And while I certainly have the power to supersede my host’s will, I choose not to.  Instead, I settle for influencing their sense of ought.

 

 

My host’s awareness of reality, life experience, and powers of thought are significantly inferior to my own, yet I am committed to gently prodding them toward gradual growth.  My host recognizes this on some level, and is at least outwardly amenable to my presence and influence, yet quite often opts to completely ignore my all-sufficient offer of help.

 

 

This imagined scenario may seem odd, but it led me to think about the privileged position I find myself in, as host to the Spirit of God.  And I wonder about the interaction between our two spirits—the lesser holding veto power regarding word and deed, and the greater regularly ignored all together. 

 

 

Scotty Smith says “we’re all abide’ers.”  We all dwell on impressions and ideas in our own minds, letting those things influence our lives and surroundings significantly.  Yet so often we choose to dwell on messages we receive from without instead of within.  How can this be?  How can the very consciousness of God living beside own be so completely lost on us?

 

 

“It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.” John 6:63

 

“For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.  For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.  For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot.  Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you.” Romans 8:5-9a

 

“Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, for ‘In him we live and move and have our being’; as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are indeed his offspring.’ Being then God's offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man.  Acts 17:27b-29

 

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.   Peter 1:3-4

 

 

“The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.” Revelation 22:17

 

 

I find I always have an inner conversation between my own thoughts and my imagined sense of reality.  I dwell on experiences of the past, replaying them in my mind, and also on experiences I expect will happen in the future.  I don’t know if all people do that or if it’s more of an introvert thing.  But I’m seeking to invite the Holy Spirit within me into those conversations.  To let my inner conversation be with Him, and leave space for His contributions to them. 

 

 

My imagined scenario above feels similar to science fiction narratives that many of us have heard.  But I’ve never heard one in which the host’s consciousness also had sovereign influence over nature and all life circumstances surrounding the host.  The Holy Spirit’s potential for communication and loving provision for me is unlimited.  The only limiting factor is my own receptivity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment