Friday, June 19, 2015

In honor of our anniversary


 In January, 2008 I went on my first ever date with a boy.  Derek took me to Chattanooga, treated me to a delicious meal at Sticky Fingers, guided me on a walking tour of the art district, and asked if he could pursue romantically.  He told me what he liked about me and that he would not ask to pursue me if he didn't hope that God would lead the relationship toward marriage one day. 
           
Later I wrote to my friend, "I like him for his character (as you know) and I like his personality and relational-ness, his love for God, and his cautiousness and carefulness towards me."

In February, 2008, my first ever valentines gift from a boy was a song that Derek wrote and sang for me as he played it on the piano.  It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard.  He said he had written for me while on Christmas break a couple months earlier.

I wrote, "I was blown away.  It was beautiful and inspiring and I couldn't believe it was supposed to be about me!"

June, 2008- (7 years ago) I wrote to my friend, " I just wanted to tell you about Derek and I, and how incredibly good it is. I really have tried to think objectively about everything and I've put a lot of thought into what would be wise and God honoring, and I really feel like God has smiled down on our relationship and made it perfect.  We talk about lots of different things, but one thing I appreciate so much about our conversations is that God and His sovereignty and providence is never too far from our thoughts or words as we talk."

In March, 2009, Derek again took me to our favorite places in Chattanooga.  Later that evening he asked me to marry him.

On June 19, 2009 (6 years ago today), I married my best friend in the world.  Derek is to date the kindest, most selfless person I have ever met, and I am still in awe that God would allow me to be his wife.  Our marriage has been the biggest blessing of my life.  What a joy it has been to serve God alongside Derek Dougherty!  

- Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment