Saturday, May 16, 2015

Random Saturday Evening Thoughts


1.  I'm so thankful for the times when God wakes me up early in the morning--not with an alarm clock or crying baby--but slowly, gently wakes me out of a satisfying sleep so that I can spend some time with Him before the day begins.  Like a lover might wake his beloved because he can no longer stand to only look at her.  What a sweet reminder of His love this morning.

2.  I feel healthier just walking into a place like Sprouts.  I might start shopping there regularly for this reason alone.
3.  I don't know that I would ever want to live in France, but I sure do enjoy reading about the French!  (Currently enjoying "Bringing Up Bébé")

4.  Lately Finn lies awake in his bed for an hour or more before going to sleep at night.  I'm thinking he doesn't need as much sleep as before and could probably stay up later.  He doesn't seem to mind hanging out in his bed, though, so I think we'll keep the early bedtime for now.  It's best to keep a good thing going as long as possible, right?

5.  I'm so, so glad that men don't wear those powdered wigs like in colonial days anymore!  What in the world were they thinking???  I mean seriously, who came up with that horrid idea? (Watching HBO's John Adam's series)

6. I continue to be amazed at the incredible significance of the parallel God created between His relationship with us and the marriage relationship of a husband and wife.  What a weighty thing it is to accept the responsibility of portraying God's relationship to His chosen bride.  Sin and betrayal exist frequently in both relationships.  Just as God loves and forgives us unconditionally despite the way we frequently break our marriage vows to Him, we are called to love and forgive our spouse over and over again.  Not because he/she deserves it, but because God does this for them--and for us.

7.  Sometimes I think I would like to be a one year old again.  There are so many moments in Finn's day that might as well be the happiest moment of his life.  He smiles in delight at so many trivial and simple things all day long.  But then, a moment later I'm reminded that there are also many moments in his day that might as well be the worst moment of his life.  A mere diaper change can completely crush his spirit and you'd think the world was melting before his eyes.  It's so emotional to be a 1-year-old.

8.  I wonder if we will one day look back on our earthly lives as never ending fluctuations of emotion over relatively inconsequential things - the way I now view the life of my 1-year-old.
 
- Laura Dougherty

No comments:

Post a Comment