Saturday, June 21, 2014

"Spiritual Combustion"

In his article, "True Spirituality: The Transforming Power of the Gospel," Steven Childers wrote:
Repentance and faith have been called the two dynamics of a "spiritual combustion cycle" that God means to be at work in our hearts at all times, changing us into the image of his Son.  In order for us to experience the transforming power of the gospel in our lives, we must continually be repenting and believing in the gospel.  When this "spiritual combustion cycle" of ongoing repentance and faith is at work in the heart, there will be change.  When there is no true change in the heart and life, it is certain that this cycle of ongoing repentance and faith is not taking place.
This is one (of several) idea I felt convicted by during our week at Living in Grace.  I have always had negative feelings associated with repentance.  I'm sure this is because I don't like to admit my own guilt, and would rather remain "blissfully" "unaware" of it.  Can anyone relate?

The thing that is beginning to sink in for me, however, is that repentance is merely taking one step closer to God, becoming more like Christ.  It should be a positive experience.  Not a negative one.  God already knows about all of my sin.  Christ knows about it intimately, since he already felt all of the guilt for it on the cross.  Yes, I do have to recognize a sin in order to repent of it, but repentance is not a time for wallowing in guilt.  It's a time for confessing a sin, handing over my guilt to Christ, and then rejoicing in His work on the cross, and the Holy Spirit's sanctifying work in my life.  It is evidence of spiritual growth.  Christ came to earth to bear my sin and my guilty feelings alike so that when I come to the Father repenting of a sin, I can come to Him in humble victory through Christ.  And as Childers pointed out, I should be doing continually--constantly experiencing the transforming power of the gospel in my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment