Saturday, June 28, 2014

Faith of the Support Raiser


I think one area of faith that can be difficult to accept, especially for a people pleaser like me, is accepting faith to believe that not only will God call those around me to take up their cross, but that He may want to use me to convict them of that.  It's one thing to accept that God wants me to step out in faith and trust Him to provide, but it's another to accept that God wants me to ask someone else to do this.  This infringes on the patriotic concept that everyone should pursue their own happiness and affluence, and only interact with others in such a way that promotes theirs.

Right now, God has called Derek and I to spread a vision for what God is doing in Peru, and part of that is inviting people to partner with us financially.  This should not be a scary thing, as it is merely an invitation extended to God's people to join in a work that He is doing--and He won't even lead everyone to do anything more than consider partnering with us.  However I find myself putting support raising in a box with door to door sales--probably about the last job in the world I would ever want to do.  God is working on my heart, though, and teaching me to trust HIS plan for me and for others.  All I must do is obey what He has called me to day by day, and trust that His best for me is part of a master plan that is His best for each of His children (not that each of His children should be doing what I do, but that what I have been called to do will affect my brothers and sisters in Christ in a way that is for their ultimate good as well).

The hardest times for me is when God directs us to extend an invitation for financial partnership with a family who I know has struggled financially on some level.  I feel so evil asking them to consider contributing to our future ministry in Peru.  But then I am reminded of how Paul described the giving of the Macedonians in 2 Corinthians 8:

And now, brothers, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches.  Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity.  For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability.

As Paul pointed out, this church gave not despite their extreme poverty, but their generosity welled up out of their extreme poverty.  God gave them the grace to give generously and do so eagerly and joyfully.  If that's not an example of the gospel turning human wisdom on its head, then I don't know what is! 

So I must trust in this crazy upside-down sort of plan that God chooses to use sometimes.  His plan is best.  I must die to self and put myself out there when He asks me to.  And just pray that people won't hate us!  :/

2 comments:

  1. As I begin the journey of support raising, I echo a lot of these sentiments! I am excited to share about my ministry, but I am really not looking forward to asking people if they will partner financially with me.

    A passage that I've found really helpful has been Philippians 4:10-19. Some things that jump out to me are:
    1. Whether I have a lot or a little, it will be enough.
    2. I don't want people's money; I want for them to experience the blessing and spiritual growth that comes with giving.
    3. God will provide for the people who commit to giving to me.

    So many great things in these verses, but these were just a few that stood out. Hope it's an encouragement to you too!

    ReplyDelete