Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Maternal Labor, Swimming, and Heaven

Our home church in the US has just begun a sermon series on Heaven, and I’ve been excited to tune in virtually because it’s one of my favorite topics!  The first message in the series included an excerpt from Randy Alcorn’s book, "Heaven," about Florence Chadwick, who attempted to swim from Catalina Island to the coast of California, and after making it the vast majority of the way to shore, she gave up and climbed in a boat.  She later said, “All I could see was the fog…. I think if I could have seen the shore I would have made it.”  This story was used to talk about how important it is for us to set our eyes on the prize and keep from being overwhelmed with the discouraging circumstances of this world.  

 

 

The metaphor about Florence's experience of seeing only the fog made me think immediately of my experiences of being in labor before giving birth to Finn and Skye.  I’m sure many women who have attempted to labor naturally have had a similar experience of feeling overwhelmed by the ongoing pain and the inability to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

 

 

There are several verses in the Bible which actually compare our wait on this earth for the next one to a pregnant woman's labor before childbirth.

 

“When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world.” John 16:21

 

 “For many will come in My name saying ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray.  And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars.  See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet.  For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, there will be famines and earthquakes in various places.  All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.” Matthew 24:5-8

 

 “For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.  While people are saying, ‘There is peace and security,’ then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.” 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3

 

 “For we know that the whole of creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.” Revelation 8:22

 

 

In both of my pregnancies I have been blessed to be able to attempt an unmedicated childbirth, and both experiences were incredibly striking experiences (in a good way, thankfully!)  After waiting for 9 months in near constant discomfort (which makes it feel like much more than 9 months), there was a beautiful freedom and victory in being able to put a pause on all other responsibilities and activities and focus entirely on receiving and enduring the last of the pain that the pregnancy would throw at me. 

 

 

I remember from my labor experience with Skye, that as the pain increased and the breaks between contractions became fewer and farther between, it was still possible to gracefully receive and endure as long as I could focus all of my attention on doing so.  The real difficulty arose when the triage nurses came at me with monitors, needles, and a bed on which they insisted I lie still (no offense to the nurses who I'm sure were doing their job well!).  Facing all of these distractions and expectations in the midst of incredible pain caused me to lose sight of my progress and think only of the present pain. 

 

 

All other senses began to lose their acuity, and all my mind could think of was pain.  I no longer saw or heard the people around me (though I think they were attempting to offer help and support).  My experience of reality slowly shifted into one of mere survival.  Like Florence Chadwick looking all around her and seeing only fog, my experience of the present eclipsed all reason.  In reality, I had already made it around 18 hours--nine tenths of the way through my labor, and yet I caved and requested the epidural. Amid the constant procedural hoops to jump through, the pain had literally become all consuming.

 

 

Most mothers in the world, both today and throughout time, have not had the epidural option as I have, and as such, are forced to push through to the finish line.  Here in Peru, anesthesia of that caliber is not offered except for cesarean section deliveries.  It strikes me that this is somewhat of a universal experience which God has likely ordained, among other reasons, to point us toward spiritual truth.  So why does the Bible repeatedly use maternal labor as a metaphor for our journey toward eternity on this earth?  There are several parallels that I see.

 

 

Eyes on the Prize

In the Christian life, it is absolutely essential that we keep our eyes focused on the prize, and do not cave to the whims of temporal setbacks or the expectations of others which would call us to live as though the present is all that there is. 

 

 “… One thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.  Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.  Only let us hold true to what we have attained.”  Philippians 3:13-14

 

 “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize?  So run that you may obtain it.  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things.  They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.  So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.” 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

 

 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:1-2

 

 

Acceptance of Struggle

Just as we know that labor pains are actually good and necessary steps toward the delivery of a healthy child into the world, we have to believe that the suffering which God allows and even ordains for His children on this earth is good and necessary for propelling us toward glory.

 

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”  James 1:2-4

 

“Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”  Romans 5:3-5

 

“Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.”  Romans 8:17-18

 

 

Living in the Already but Not Yet

Just as a laboring mother has to balance her longings for future joy and relief with the present need to persevere in caring for herself and her unborn child, believers are called to walk in the light of two very true and weighty realities.  Losing sight of either our present calling or our future goal will have unfortunate consequences for our sanctification and participation in the kingdom.

 

“As it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell.  I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.  But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.” Philippians 1:20-24

 

“Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” 1 Peter 1:13

 

“Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:58

 

 

Equipped for the Journey

As a mother begins to labor, it is immensely helpful for her to be equipped with correct expectations.  She must recognize that pain and struggle is to be expected, but likewise that times of rest and relief are also to be expected.  The Christian life is the same.  We must pace ourselves and not only accept the struggle, but look for and savor the times of joy and victory.

 

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:28-29

 

“Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”  Mark 6:31

 

“In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety.” Psalm 4:8

 

 

 

A Strong Support Team

A laboring mother needs people around her to reassure her when she’s discouraged, remind her of truth when she can’t see it, and physically be near her to offer aid and remind her that she’s not alone. Similarly, each member of Christ’s body needs the help and encouragement of the other members because there will be times of feeling alone, of believing the devil’s lies, and of feeling completely discouraged.  The Christian life is meant to be lived in community.

 

“And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” Hebrews 10:24-25

 

“But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.” Hebrews 3:13

 

“If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.” 1 Corinthians 12:26

 

 

 

The Hour Unknown

Just as mothers never know how long their labor will last, we are called to walk in faith toward the unknown hour of Christ’s joyous return.  We may be assured that the day will come.

 

 “But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son,  but the Father only…  Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.  But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into.  Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”  Matthew 24:36, 42-44

 

“For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.” 1 Thessalonians 5:2

 

“He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by His own authority.” Acts 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment