Sunday, June 6, 2021

A Lesson in Scrutiny

I was convicted recently by 1 Corinthians 4:6 where Paul says that the Corinthian believers need to learn “not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.”  I think in the past I never thought too much about the phrase “go beyond what is written” because I didn’t understand it.  I’m sure I do that constantly when reading the Bible—probably more often than not actually.

 

 

But I’ve been reading through 1 Corinthians repeatedly of late, and having more of a sense of the context of this verse makes it come alive.  Paul has heard that there are many in Corinth who have publicly chosen to follow Apollos rather than Paul for one reason or another.  First off, Paul addresses the error of attaching ones’ self to one human teacher (1:10-17).  But in chapter 4 he makes a defense of himself by explaining that as a servant of God, only God can judge him.  He claims that it means very little to him if humans find fault with him.  Then this verse appears.

 

I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.

 

Paul exhorts the Corinthians that it is God Who is our Master and Judge in all things, so while we may be tempted to apply God’s individual direction toward us to other people, it is incorrect to do so when it goes “beyond what is written,” or beyond what is clearly taught in scripture.  So while an individual believer in Corinth may have been led by the Holy Spirit to follow Apollos’s example more than Paul’s in one way or another, that would be an instance of Spiritual direction which goes beyond what was written in Scripture.  Scripture never said to follow Apollos’s practice of anything, yet the Spirit imparts truth and wisdom (which is in line with and never contradictory to scripture) to God’s children (2:6-16).

 

 

Moreover, as Paul pointed out in chapter 3, when we begin to proclaim our own affinities to others in such a way that we create lines of division between ourselves and other believers, we are acting in the flesh (verse 4).  Then in 3:21-22 Paul reminds us that “all things” are yours, “whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours.”  4:8 alludes to this astonishing reality as well.  God can use any person, experience, thing, etc. to grow us, teach us, sanctify us.  We are not meant to latch onto one other person’s faith, but rather joyfully give thanks for the way God may use certain individuals in our own journey with Him, but keeping our gaze on our Master Teacher and giver of all good gifts all the time. 

 

 

Chapter 2 verse 15-16 point out that if we do find ourselves judging another believer’s journey with the Lord, we are in fact judging the Spirit of God Himself.  Quite sobering.

 

 

So how am I applying this to myself? 

 

 

Lately I have been so enraptured with the growth God has granted me in my walk with Him, and I naturally want everyone else who I love to experience that same joy (Matt 5:15), yet in my zeal, I can find myself feeling critical toward those who don’t share my enthusiasm and particular joys in the Christian life.  So this verse reminds me to be very careful not to go beyond what is written in my desires for others.  God works in each of us differently and while there are many (scriptural) truths which are solidly part of God’s plan for every believer, my particular story represents God’s unique growth plan for me.  It is good to share that with others (Matt 5:16), however I must commit to resting in my Father’s good (and different) plan for them.

 

 

It’s interesting to me that Scripture doesn’t seem to give us any indication of what the people found unique to Apollos over Paul or vice versa.  Perhaps one did their daily devotions in the evening rather than the morning.  Perhaps one spent more time memorizing scripture and the other spent more time teaching it.  Perhaps one preferred more contemporary worship music than the other. It’s interesting to think about the many different things which it could have been isn’t it?  But scripture made no mention of it because, as Paul points out, those were unique aspects of the Spirit’s work in those individual’s lives, and not something which scripture lays on all of us. 

 

 

I am incredibly blessed to be surrounded by many of the Lord’s chosen ones, and to potentially experience different types of edification from each one as each represents a unique outplaying of the gospel in a fallen yet regenerate life.  I want to be much more intentional about rejoicing in the things in others which are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, and worthy of praise, (Phil 4:8) and much less time critiquing the areas of their lives where the Spirit has thus far grown me differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment