Monday, March 29, 2021

Spanish Blog: The Supernatural

    *Click here to read the story behind my Spanish Blog

 

Ever since I was a young child, I have been fascinated by the supernatural.  My parents regularly read Bible stories to me when I was quite young, and I distinctly recall being especially entranced with a story accompanying a picture of an angel coming to speak to Mary, who would become Jesus’ mother.  Angels were always a fascination of mine.  One day my dad read me the verse about how some have entertained angels without realizing it (Hebrews 13:2) and for a long time after that I also had a great fascination with strangers, convinced that there were angels walking around right before my eyes, and all I had to do was figure out which people they were.  

 

 

My father was always ready to talk about spiritual realities with me.  When I was four years old, he often took me on walks along trails in a local park.  These trails would lead through both woods and grassy fields—through both shade and sun.  I loved these dates with my father and sometimes we would walk so far that my young legs would get sore and my father was forced to carry me on the return trip.  As we walked we talked about many things and sang goofy songs.  I also remember serious conversations, though.  

 





There was a grave site along one of these trails that was very intriguing to me.  It was at the side of this lone grave that I learned about death.  I had heard of death before, because I knew my babysitter’s dad had died.  This grave site in the park prompted a lot of questions for me.  My father used this opportunity to share with me how I could be sure to go to heaven when I die.  He explained that the Bible tells us if we are sorry for our sins and accept what Jesus did on the cross as payment for those sins, then we can become children of God and go to heaven when we die.  I believed this and wanted to obey God and learn more about Him. 

 

One day after one of these walks in the park with my dad, I remember bowing at the couch in our living room with my dad and asking Jesus to by my savior.  I was excited. That was the beginning my personal relationship with my King.  He orchestrated my life, my circumstances, and even my desires such that I would see the truth and accept Him as my Lord and Savior.  As I have come to know Him better, I stand more and more in awe of His powerful working in the world and His incredible affection toward me.

 

 

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  not a result of works, so that no one may boast.  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. ~ Ephesians 2:8-10

 

 

When did you first sense God trying to get your attention?  When did you first ask questions about why we’re here and what comes next? 

 

~ Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment