Wednesday, August 8, 2018

A Different Perspective on Teaching Math to Young Children


During my graduate studies in elementary education at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, I was privileged to take a course on teaching elementary math from Constance Kamii, a professor who had worked closely with and learned much from Jean Piaget, a Swiss psychologist known for his work in childhood development.  This course completely changed my understanding of how children attain mathematical concepts and made it abundantly clear to me why so many people believe themselves to be hopelessly bad at math.

The course centered around a book written by Constance Kamii, “Young Children Reinvent Arithmetic,” and I have since reread and reread this book as I seek to apply what I learned with those who I teach.  Now, as my oldest is approaching Kindergarten in the next year or so, I am rereading the book again with pen in hand in order to arrive at my plan for introducing Finn to math.

One of the simplest conclusions based on all of this study that I can share with you, is that the way traditional textbooks and teachers introduce children to numbers and algorithms (processes for arriving at correct answers to math problems) often derails them in their ability to think for themselves mathematically.  Children who would be able to, in time, do large sums in their heads with a full understanding of what they are doing, are instead directed to follow step 1, then step 2, then step 3 in order to produce an answer and they have no real understanding of why they are doing said steps or why the answer they arrived at is correct (or not correct).

So, for starters, I plan to avoid introducing algorithms to Finn as long as possible and allow him to grow in his concept of numbers and how they relate to each other through playing lots of math games that encourage mental math.  In Kamii’s book there are countless studies and experiments conveyed with school students which show that learning math in this way early on leads to correct answers a much higher percentage of the time, a greater understanding of how to solve real-world math problems, and a greater joy and confidence for children in doing math.

I plan to continue journaling my findings and subsequent plans as I go through Kamii’s book yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment