Saturday, December 15, 2012

Humility in Cooking

I don't claim to be a great cook, but I do claim to have a general knowledge of how to cook a simple dish (nothing gormet).  Most of the time I have success with cooking, and I suppose I'm fortunate because I do like to try new recipes fairly regularly.  But every once in a while things go wrong, and I learn something new about cooking the hard way. 

Yesterday I learned that you never put a piece of raw chicken in the oven to bake until it is completely thawed out.  I like to buy chicken in bulk at Sam's and save money, so I freeze it to make it last.  This means that when I cook with chicken, I take it out of the freezer several hours before I'm ready to cook.  I did this yesterday.  But it was apparently slightly frozen still in the center.  The chicken fingers were apparently not meant to be.  It's a shame, too, because it was this really yummy coconut chicken with homemade honey mustard sauce. 

Today I learned that all brownie mixes are not created equal.  I used to think that you could make any brownie box stretch to fill a 9x13 inch baking dish.  Not so.  Going for the cheapest box won't work anymore apparently.

Key moments, my friends.  I'm thankful that these things happened on days I was not cooking for company.


No comments:

Post a Comment