Thursday, March 24, 2016

How In The World Could They Hate Jesus?


* explanation of this picture below
I read Matthew’s account of Christ’s arrest and crucifixion this morning, and the thing that has gripped me on this reading is the total hatred that the Pharisees and Sadducees had for Jesus.  Even Pilot himself could find no fault in Jesus, and yet these people were so bothered by him that they wanted him dead.

I’m sure there are many things that played into it.  They were worried about Jesus messing up their fragile arrangement with Rome and ruining everything they’d worked for.  But it seems to me that one aspect of Jesus’ ministry which infuriated these guys was His constant offer of grace to sinners—the age old controversy of works versus grace.  And I think I experience this agitation myself.  Like the pharisees I tend to idolize my personal standards and plans for “pleasing God” so that when someone else gets in the way of these plans, I feel disdain for that person in my heart.  I disdain them for getting in my way and what’s more, I disdain them because it makes me feel better about myself. 

And I’m not talking about criminals and “pagans” here.  I’m talking about my family members.  Like the Pharisees and Sadducees I so readily find fault in the people I ought to love, and when someone extends grace as Jesus did, I’m quick to write it off as weak or foolish.  “They’re just being nice,” I think.  “They don’t really know this person like I do.”

Why do I feel such a strong need for wrong doing to be exposed and corrected?  Is justice a stronger human trait than Mercy and Grace?  Perhaps.  But ultimately I think it’s all about my own desire to accomplish my own salvation.  Like those “spiritual leaders” of Jesus day, who had it all figured out and had cleaned up their lives meticulously, I, in my subconscious, most instinctual part of me, have this notion that I can take part in my own salvation, and that you could too  if you’d just see yourself and your foolishness the way I do.  And every time my heart accuses someone in this way, I accuse Christ and spurn the mercy and grace that He offered.


How could the “good guys” have hated Jesus so much?  Couldn’t they see the good things He was doing and the kindness He showed? 


Here in Arequipa there is a traditional burning of Judas which takes place every year at Easter.  They hang up a life size, flammable (and sometimes pyrotechnic) doll to represent Christ’s betrayer, and after reading his “will,” by which they air their grievances against city officials, they burn him.

I find it a fascinating representation of how eager we are to accuse and extort justice from others rather than face our own guilt.  This is what the religious leaders of Jesus’ day did, and this is what I do in my heart, if not always verbally, whenever my plans for peace, happiness, and productivity are infringed upon by those around me.  So what must I do?


Repentance.  Daily, constant, repentance, and acceptance of Christ’s sacrifice, forgiveness and grace.


- Laura


"But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to His own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life."  Titus 3:4-7



2 comments:

  1. Laura,

    "Is justice a stronger human trait than Mercy and Grace?" I find your posting so interesting because I too have experienced similar thoughts. Earlier this year my pastor Pete spoke on the topic of God's justice, and his unveiling of God's justice is nothing like I have ever been taught in the church. I could be wrong, but from your post I quoted up top, you seem, like I used to, to separate God's justice from his Grace and Mercy, yet I have now seen that over and over in the Bible God equates all three, instead of contrasting them.

    Anyhow, I thought you may like to see or hear this sermon just to see that maybe there is a reason that your mind or heart is trained to want to expose the wrongdoings of others, and I believe personally now, its because I had a misconception of what God's justice, that we should exhibit as Christians, really entails.

    http://www.crosspoint.tv/media/omg

    It's from the month of February, called Justice Served.

    I love and miss you! Ya'll seem to be doing so well. Praying for you and the transformation you guys are undergoing!

    Beci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thoughts. Thanks Beci, I'll definitely take a look at that sermon. Good to hear from you!

      Delete