Tuesday, September 22, 2015

My heart is more full now.


Today I was helping Finn put stickers on a piece of construction paper, and he did this thing--several times--that I am still marveling at.

A week or so ago we discovered that while Finn doesn't have much of an attention span for coloring yet, he really enjoys stickers.  So we bought a book of stickers and for the past few days, we've been peeling stickers out of that book and handing them to him (he can't get them off himself) so that he can stick them onto a piece of paper.

Today, while doing this with Finn, it occurred to me to let Finn choose which sticker he'd like next.  It took a minute for him to catch on to the idea, but then he discovered that he loved it.  And then he started doing this thing.  Every time he had successfully placed a sticker on the paper, he turned back to the sticker book and broke into this intense grin, making two tight fists with his hands in front of him, and shaking in glee for just a moment, before choosing a sticker.  It was sheer delight that I saw on his face every time he realized that he could once again choose any sticker he wanted, and I would give it to him.

After a while he realized that he could turn the pages of the sticker book, and find a different page that suited him better.  Our sticker activity transformed into a leisurely stroll through the pages of the sticker book.

So I was thinking tonight, about the joy Finn felt in that moment over the freedom to choose and receive.  I so often have that myself.  But so often I move past the moment without stopping to grin, make fists, and shake in delight.  So here's to savoring the moments.  And here are a few of the delightful moments I've shared with Finn lately!

Finn's first time hiking with us (not in a carrier).

He's REALLY  been enjoying his "YeYe Bible" that reads aloud Bible stories to him in his Ye Ye's voice.

Choosing a sticker!

Chocolate pudding dessert.  Yum!

Finn has LOVED this car the past few days since Aunt Dora brought it by for our yard sale.  We'll all be sad to see it go.  It'll be one of the first thing Finn gives up on his missionary kid journey.  

Making a call on his phone (an old flip phone of mine) in his favorite chair.

Playing guitar on his stage.  Just like Daddy.


You know, all of these moments and more have been a part of my life recently, but until I stop and think back on them, and see them like this in pictures, I didn't really appreciate them.  My heart is more full now, than when I began typing this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment